Our Heroes Luncheon- 16 heroes honored, 8 students awarded | Community Spirit
Tampa, Florida -- On May 31, the Tampa Convention Center will host the "Our Heroes Luncheon", to honor 16 local heroes and award eight Tampa students with scholarships.
The Luncheon takes place in recognition of the men and women of Law Enforcement and Fire Rescue in Hillsborough County who display everyday acts of heroism, which provide safety and security for the community.
Sponsored by Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated., Susan and John Sykes and other Tampa Bay businesses, the event is the largest of its kind in the United States.
The students to receive scholarships are children of first responders. The scholarships are given as a part of the Coy L. Sykes Memorial Scholarship program.
The 2012 Scholarship recipients are:
- Casey Terrell, scholarship recipient for Tampa Fire Rescue, is a senior at Lemon Bay High School in Englewood, Florida
- Steven E. Elkington, scholarship recipient for the Tampa Police Department, is a senior at Robinson High School
- David Hopp, scholarship recipient for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, is a senior at Clearwater High School in Clearwater, FL.
- Kara Saunders, scholarship recipient for Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, is a senior at George M. Steinbrenner High school
- Ian Doyle, scholarship recipient for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, is a senior at Hernando High School in Brooksville, FL,
- Rebecca Eitnier, scholarship recipient for Tampa Police Department, is a senior at Pasco High School in Dade City, Florida
- Janaé Morrow, scholarship recipient for Tampa Fire Rescue, is a senior at Tampa Bay Tech High School
- Courtney Keene, scholarship recipient for Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, is a senior at Steinbrenner High School in Tampa, Florida
Each Student will be recognized at the luncheon, and presented with the the opportunity of addressing the almost 1800 guests who will be in attendance.